In addition to getting the mudroom up and running before the school year, we really wanted to get a homework desk set up in the playroom. The two older girls have been begging for a real-deal desk (they're sick of sitting at the kid-sized play table), and putting together a homework station felt like a great way to start the school year off right!

 photo IMG_3218.jpg

I have been working with Office Depot and Expo brand to spread the news about the #TeachersChangeLives campaign, where we are trying to make it easier (and more affordable with these coupons!) for families to donate school supplies to classrooms, or to help ease the financial burden that these teachers are taking on personally each year to stock their classrooms. Here's where you can learn more about #TeachersChangeLives.

 photo IMG_3338.jpg

 photo IMG_2945.jpg

Office Depot invited me to share this brand new homework station in celebration of the campaign. I'm so happy with how this cute desk area turned out and my girls are over-the-moon excited about having a big girl space to do their school work and to display their art and best projects! Here's what we did:

We started out by getting a piece of homasote, which is a great soft-but-sturdy material, cut down to 40x40" for a large memo board. We get our homasote at Heldt lumber in Phoenix, but when I lived back east I could usually get it at Lowes or Home Depot. I upholstered the cut-to-size board in a soft lilac linen fabric from my stash.

 photo IMG_2898.jpg

Tips for how to tackle corners can be found HERE!

 photo IMG_2903.jpg

I have a feeling this board will be well-used. I hung it up (using D-rings) and tacked on these papers and things only yesterday and already it looks completely different today. Michael likes to say there are four decorators that live in this house. :)

 photo IMG_3209.jpg

 photo IMG_3252.jpg

We also had one of the smaller 2x4' pegboard sheets cut down to 12x40", so it could sit evenly right under the memo board. We sprayed it that Rustoleum Aubergine color that I love so much.

 photo IMG_2883.jpg

 photo IMG_2889.jpg

I think it pairs really well with the lilac linen!

 photo IMG_3265.jpg

I stacked eight small washers behind the pegboard before screwing into the wall, so that the board would sit off the wall a bit, making it easier to move around the pegboard accessories.

 photo IMG_2919.jpg

Home Depot has tons of these pegboard accessories. We spray painted a couple of baskets and prongs to match the pegboard, and then loaded them up with all sorts of school and art supplies.

 photo IMG_3267.jpg

Expo and Office Depot sent us some new highlighters (which have see-through writing tips?!) and a few mechanical pencils that have mix and match colors (which, of course, the girls love). I put assorted little cups in the baskets to help us keep the supplies organized and off the desk top.

 photo IMG_3330.jpg

 photo IMG_2939.jpg

 photo IMG_3239.jpg


 photo IMG_3233.jpg

Yesterday was the inaugural run of the new desk area and I'd say it was a wild success. Never have I seen my girls so excited to do their homework! The real question is, can this excitement last? I'm really, really hoping so. :)

 photo IMG_3327.jpg

 photo IMG_3197.jpg

A big thanks to Office Depot and to the #TeachersChangeLives campaign for inviting me to contribute to the program! Click here to read more about how we can help these wonderful teachers who already do so much for our children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top